Jews in El Salvador
Immigration - Fascist period - Zionists - Jewish communal institutions
from: El Salvador; In: Encyclopaedia Judaica 1971, vol. 6
presented by Michael Palomino (2008)
<EL SALVADOR, republic of Central America.
[Jewish immigration since 19th century - German Jewish immigration 1933-1945]
The recorded existence of Jews in El Salvador dates back to the first half of the 19th century, when some French-Sephardi Jews settled in the small town of Chalchuapa. More French Jews, most of them Alsatians, settled in the capital, San Salvador, during the second half of the 19th century.
East European and some oriental Jews came during the 1920s and a few German Jews arrived as a consequence of World War II.
[Fascist period - Zionists]
[[...]] Open support of the Fascist cause during the 1930s hampered Jewish security, but the situation improved after World War II. [[...]] The Zionist Organization was established in 1945 and an affiliate of *Wizo somewhat later. [[...]] On Sept. 11, 1948, El Salvador recognized the State of Israel, and in 1956 the Instituto Cultural El Salvador-Israel was founded.
[Jewish communal institutions]
[[...]] Communal institutions - La Comunidad Israelita de El Salvador, its cemetery, and synagogue - date from 1944, 1945, and 1950 respectively. [[...]] There is no regular Jewish school, but some classes in Hebrew and religion are conducted by the rabbi. [[...]] The Liebes and de Sola families are the most prominent in philanthropic, cultural, and business activities of the community. Alexander Freund was for many years the spiritual leader of the community.
[[...]] In 1969, there were 300 Jews in its total population of 2,723,050. [[...]]
-- J. Beller: Jews in Latin America (1969), 42-45.
[A.J.]> (col. 687)
Encyclopaedia Judaica 1971: El Salvador, vol. 6, col. 687